You may take the Master Plumber Examination if:
- you are a citizen or national of the United States or an alien or non-immigrant eligible for licensure by the State of Texas;
- you have a high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED); and
- you are currently licensed as:
- a Journeyman Plumber in Texas or another state and have held your license for at least four years;
- a Journeyman Plumber in Texas or another state, have held your license for at least one year, and have successfully completed a training program approved by the United States Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship;
- a Master Plumber in another state and previously held a Journeyman Plumber License for at least four years;
- a Master Plumber license in another state, previously held a Journeyman Plumber License for at least one year, and have successfully completed a training program approved by the United States Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship.
How to Apply for the Examination
To apply for the Master Plumber Examination you must submit a completed application with all supporting documentation and a $175 fee to the TSBPE. If you have been convicted of a felony, you must also submit a Supplemental Criminal History Information Form (SCHIF).
Master Plumber Examination Application
Supplemental Criminal Hisotry Information Form
Once you have successfully passed the exam, you must submit a $75 fee to obtain your certificate of licensure and pocket card.
Scope of Work Permitted
A Master Plumber may install, change, repair, service, or renovate plumbing under the supervision of a Responsible Master Plumber. A Master may also directly supervise a Plumber’s Apprentice on all jobsites or a Tradesman Plumber-Limited on jobsites for structures other than one and two-family dwellings.
A Master Plumber who meets the eligibility requirements may obtain a Medical Gas Piping Installation Endorsement, a Multipurpose Residential Fire Protection Sprinkler Specialist Endorsement, or a Water Supply Protection Specialist Endorsement. Click here to learn more about endorsements.
Exam Fee: $175
Initial License Fee: $75
Renewal Fee: $75
Late Renewal Fee (expired less than 90 days): $37.50
Late Renewal Fee (expired more than 90 days): $75