THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A PLUMBER OR A PLUMBING CONTRACTOR:
1. Obtain the name of the Responsible Master Plumber (RMP) for the company. The RMP\’s license number should be displayed in all advertisements. Master Plumber license numbers begin with the letter \”M\”. License numbers which begin with \”A\”, \”T\”, \”J\” or any other letter are not Master Plumber license numbers.
2. Click here to access the TSBPE\’s license search. Enter the RMP\’s license number to verify:
a. The validity of the Master Plumber license number; and
b. That the Master Plumber has a Certificate of Insurance on file.
3. Call the Enforcement Department at (512) 936-5200, ext. 65249 to see if the plumber has had any valid complaints filed against his or her license.
4. Check with your local municipal plumbing inspection department to determine:
a. if any complaints have been filed that were not filed with TSBPE
b. if the company has met the requirements to do business in your city.
c. if the work to be performed requires a permit and inspection from the city.
5. The Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners does not regulate prices charged by plumbers. Obtain several price estimates before committing to one and make sure that all warranties and cost estimates are in writing. Whether or not the estimate is for one price for the complete and final job or an hourly rate, it should be detailed enough so that the consumer understands exactly what work is to be performed and how the company expects to be paid.
6. The written estimate and invoice should contain the Responsible Master Plumber’s license number and the name, address and telephone number of the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners.
7. Obtain references and actually verify the references for previous customer satisfaction before choosing a plumber or plumbing contractor.
Questions? Please call: (512) 936-5249